Welcome to the William Gorman Fort Banks ELL Department!
Christina Bocian Carla Fitzpatrick
ELL Teacher: Grades 1 & 2 ELL Teacher: K and 1
Online Resources for Students to Use at Home
- LexiaCore5 https://www.lexiacore5.com
- Starfall: https://www.starfall.com/ (best for K-1) Reading games and practice
- ABC Phonics: http://www.abcfastphonics.com/ Phonics practice and instruction
- Reading is Fundamental: https://www.rif.org/literacy-central/search?query=&field_themes=All&field_supported_grades=All&type=All (Summaries of books that are leveled by grade and their support materials
- http://learnenglishkids.britishcouncil.org/en/ great stories, songs, and other resources to practice your English
- Storyline Online: https://www.storylineonline.net/ Listen to great stories be read out loud
- Childhood Language site in French, Spanish, and German: http://www.literacycenter.net/
ELL Tools (for ELLs of all ages)
- Dave’s ESL Café: http://eslcafe.com/ (Many resources for students, teachers, and parents)
- Online Dictionary: https://www.merriam-webster.com/
- Picture Dictionary: pdictionary.com
- English Vocabulary Practice: https://www.learnenglish.de/vocabpage.html
- A Bilingual Website for Families: http://www.colorincolorado.org
- Great resource for ELLs: http://www.manythings.org/
- Practice your English online: https://eslgold.com/
- Grammar Practice: https://www.english-grammar-revolution.com/word-lists.html
How Can I Help My Child Improve His/Her English?
- Read stories to your child. If you are not comfortable reading to them in English, you can read them stories in your native language. Also, you could get books on tape or cd from the local library to play for them.
- Go to a storytelling hour at the Winthrop Public Library.
- Be positive about speaking in English.
- Sing songs or say rhymes in English.
- Encourage your child to participate in extracurricular activities.
- Stay connected with your child’s teacher.